Monday, August 16, 2010

Domo Arigato Japan

Yesterday was my last full day in Japan. I had a quiet morning for reading while Misty and the kids went to VBS. After VBS, the kids were in desperate need of a nap after three days of not having naps. When they woke up from their naps, we strolled down to the train station to go to Kamakura. Kamakura started as a little fishing village and then became the capital of Japan in the 12th century until about 1333.


Can I just say, I love that there are so many trains that network through Japan! It sure does make traveling around here a lot easier. When we got off the train, we walked up the road and decided that we needed a cool and refreshing treat.


Take a look at the flavor options here! Sweet Potato and Soda, Lychee and Green Tea, what's a girl to do?


Is it bad karma to eat ice cream while visiting the great Buddha of Kamakura? Well, regardless of karma, I wasn't about to put down my lychee ice cream...besides, I saw a little Japanese lady eating a sno-cone walk in before me.

This is the 2nd largest Buddha in Japan. The largest is in Nara. This Buddha, Daibutsu, was cast in 1252 and was originally housed in a big temple. After the building had been destroyed a few times in typhoons, he's been kickin' it outside (since about 1495).

As we were walking back, we stopped in this cute little pottery shop, where a man was working on some little plates, tea pots, and all sorts of other fun stuff. I couldn't resist picking up some handmade pottery for my house.


Next, we had to find some dinner and what better for my last full day than a great sushi bar. This was Deiter's first experience eating sushi and even though he was a little apprehensive, he was pleasantly surprised.

So, today I'm packing my bags and when Misty and the kids get back from VBS, we're going to take the navy shuttle bus back to the airport. It's been a lot of fun traveling through the Philippines with Katy and her family and Japan with Misty and her family. I've learned a lot from my variety of experiences in each country and I'm sad to see this trip come to an end, but I guess that's the way it is with most good things in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment