Thursday, August 5, 2010

When I Thought I'd Seen It All

The whole Surf the Nations team was together this morning and our breakfast table was cozy with the newcomers. They'll be here in Naga for a few more days and then they are off to Siargao Island to find some property to set up as surf base and way to reach the surfing community of that island.

Carol drove all of us to Tabunok to a bank/mini-mall. I’m not gonna lie, we were pretty crowded in the van, 10 in all, it wasn’t quite a packed as the jeepney on Monday, but it was crowded. Jonathan took this photo of us...from left to right it was Sherry, Janelle, Candice, and me.

The back seat was quite loud with all the Johnson siblings minus Michael.

The first task for us was to visit the ATM.

By the way, this is actually a reasonable line…we’ve driven past a few ATMs with lines almost double the length. We waited in this line at the Bank of the Philippines for a good 20 minutes and when we were down to two people in front of us, the ATM ran out of money. Fortunately, we found another ATM in the mall and got in line again.

We did a little shopping in the Gaisano department store/supermarket for some snacks. Check out these Pringle flavors! Blueberry hazelnut, lemon sesame!?! Who comes up with these?

I went a little overboard in the snack aisle, but I just came across so many interesting chip flavors and only at about 10 cents per fun sized bag.

I haven’t started sampling them yet, but I’ll let you know later if there are any keepers. I photographed the top seven most interesting flavors. I’m extremely curious about the Ham & Cheese Rollercoaster Chips and Mr. Chips Spaghetti flavored chips. The Chummy Prawn might be a little sketch.

Some of you might have been worried that I forgot to bring Deiter P. Gnome to Asia, but don’t fret, he’s been here.

He really enjoyed watching David wrestle the neighborhood goat. Although, Deiter hasn’t seen all that I’ve seen, he did go with us on a little walk to the pharmacy.

Poor Brendon has a bit of an infection in his eyes and so we went to get some medication. Hopefully Brendon’s eyes will be feeling better soon. While we were in the pharmacy, we discovered this interesting find in the soap aisle. Yep, that’s placenta soap.

On our walk, we passed some sheep just kickin’ it in the middle of the road. They were they when we walked to the pharmacy and they were there when we walked back…I think they may have been the same sheep I saw down at the beach yesterday.

Seriously, just when I think I've seen it all...I see something like this and I'm amazed. Maybe it's just me, but these are the sorts of things that make me laugh. I mean, what made these sheep decide that this would be a great place for an afternoon siesta? And on a more serious note, how often do I make choices like these sheep...

At the tutoring center, we had a great time today doing construction paper mosaics art.

And I think this girl wants to be a photographer when she grows up. She had so much fun snapping photos with Jonathan’s camera.

And this is my Twilight fan club of the Philippines.

2 comments:

  1. HA!! I love Dieter!! ahhh Jeanette, it was my last HC last night and you were missed. But your blog has been psyching me up to go. I leave tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I'm so excited for you to be in this country! The people I've met are a lot of fun and I know that you are going to have a great time here.

    ReplyDelete